Which Passport Services are Available?
The United States Bureau of Consular Affairs is considered to be amongst the foremost passport authorities and passport services. This department provides passport services that include the mandated oversight of protection and interest with regard to American citizens residing outside of the United States through the administration and regulation of passports; passport services provides by the United States Department of Consular Affairs can range from short term to long term stays – the Bureau of Consular Affairs can be contacted through their toll-free phone number: (877) 487-2778
Passport Services: Immigration Fraud
The Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is one the immigration and passport services belonging to the United States’ department of Homeland Security (DHS). This department administers any and all oversight with regard to investigations involving immigration fraud; this includes fraudulent or illicit passport services – in the event that you or someone you know has been made aware of fraudulent immigration or passport services, you are encouraged to contact ICE through their toll-free phone number: (866) 347-2423
Passport Services: Immigration Law Assistance
Individual applicants who are unfamiliar with the process of obtaining a Passport are encouraged to consult an immigration attorney with regard to their individual circumstance; the completion of immigration and travel documentation requires particular care and consideration with regard to any and all expressed details within the application process – an immigration attorney can assist in the formulation of required documentation, review of applications, and authorize the legitimacy and legality of all Passport Services forms and documentation.
Immigration attorneys can also offer insight and counsel with regard to lost or stolen immigration documentation, in addition to the attainment of expedited passport services that allow an individual applicant to bypass a waiting period.
Passport Services: Passport Photograph
Passport photos are necessary to the passport application process. Passport services that provide passport photographs can be attained at a variety of pharmacies, drug stores, and convenience stores. Passport photos can also be taken local postal offices:
• Passport services providing passport photographs may institute fees ranging from $10 to $25
• Passport photos provided by accredited passport services must measure 2 inches by 2 inches with the subject’s head centered in the photograph; a distance of 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches must exist between the top of the subject’s head and the bottom of the subject’s chin
• Passport services must manufacture passport on lightweight, glossy photo-paper; the photograph must be in color and taken against a white background
• The subject featured in a passport photograph must be dressed in street – or casual – attire; an applicant in not permitted to wear uniforms or costumes with the exception of religious garb, whose every day wearis imperative in order for that nature of garb to be deemed acceptable attire for a passport photograph
Passport Services: Passport Forms and Fees
The following forms and documentation can be attained from accredited passport services:
• The DS-11 form is required in the event that an individual wishes to apply for a new passport; DS-11 applicants may also be individuals who did not meet the requirements of passport renewal expressed within the DS-82 form – the DS-82 form allows for individuals meeting expressed requirements to renew their respective passports through the mail
• The DS-64 form is required in the event that a passport belonging to an individual has been lost or stolen; the completion of this form nullifies the misplaced passport – however, an application for a new passport through the completion of the DS-11 form is required
- Application for Passport (form DS-11):
- The completion of the DS-11 form is required in order to obtain a passport; the DS-11 form is considered to be the standard – and uniform – application for the receipt of a US Passport.
- Application for Passport (form DS-82):
- This form is required in order to renew one’s passport through the mail; it should be noted that the original issuance of a Passport cannot be done through the mail. Furthermore, upon renewing a passport through the mail, an individual applicant must provide their expired passport in tandem with their application for passport.
- Application for Passport (form DS-5504):
- This form is required in the event that an individual has changed their name or wishes to correct the data illustrated on their own passport. Furthermore, this form can be utilized in the event that an individual wishes to obtain a temporary replacement passport.
- Application for Passport (form DS-64):
- This form is required in the event that an individual has misplaced their valid passport or has had their passport stolen. Due to the delicate nature of such official documentation, in addition, to the heightened security and sensitivity surrounding the loss of such documentation, the government may respond with an investigation in certain instances. A Passport can be replaced no more than 3 times in a single year, and no more than 10 times in an individual’s lifetime. As a result, individuals are encouraged to be mindful of the location – and possession – of their own passports at all times.
- Application for Passport (form DS-3053):
- This form is required in order for a minor – an individual under the age of 16 – to obtain a passport. Due to the fact that the guardians of minors are liable for any decision making – with the exception of emancipated minors – completion of the DS-3053 application for passport is required in order for a minor to obtain a valid passport.
- The application must be printed on non-glossy, white printer paper; the paper must measure 8 ½ by 11 inches and cannot be neither torn, ripped, not perforated.
- Proof of United States citizenship must be displayed; this identification must present a picture of the applicant – accepted forms of this type of identification are a valid driver’s license, military identification, certificate of naturalization, government identification, or a certification of legal, permanent citizenship.
- A US Citizen must supply their social security number upon applying for a passport.
How long does it take to get a United States’ Passport?
Often times travelers are confused over the time constraints associated with obtaining a passport and their intended travel date. Once an individual applies for a passport, they should expect to receive the passport in the mail in roughly six weeks.
As a result of the timeframe associated with the obtainment of a United States’ passport it is suggested that the applicant apply as early as possible.
If the applicant needs to obtain the passport prior to six weeks it is possible to apply via an expedited service, which will deliver the United States’ passport within 2 weeks of the application date. This service, although faster, will attach additional service fees to the application process.
Passports are obtained at government buildings, including a United States Post Office, any local Municipal Court or Municipal building, the majority of District buildings, and most neighborhood centers. To view the locations within a specific area an applicant can check with the US passport service online to locate all passport locations in the country.
If an applicant is applying for a passport for the first time the registration process must be accomplished in person. If the applicant is renewing a passport they can process the request via an online service. In addition, a renewed passport may be delivered within a week or at the time of the application given that the application was filed in a United States’ passport office.