Home Uncategorized Fiance Visa

Fiance Visa

Fiance Visa

Fiance Visa: A Comprehensive Guide

Getting married to a foreign national is exciting, but there are a few legal hurdles you need to navigate first. The Fiance Visa, also known as the K-1 Visa, is one of those hurdles. It allows the foreign partner of a US citizen to enter and stay in the country for 90 days for the purpose of getting married. In this article, we will discuss the process of applying for a Fiance Visa, the requirements, timelines, costs, and other important considerations.

What is a Fiance Visa?

A Fiance Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign national who is engaged to a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. The visa is valid for 90 days and can only be used once. After the marriage, the foreign partner can apply for permanent residency (green card) and become a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Who is Eligible for a Fiance Visa?

To be eligible for a Fiance Visa, the following requirements must be met:

– The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, not a permanent resident.
– Both parties must be legally free to get married. This means that any previous marriages must have been terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
– The petitioner must have met the fiance in person at least once within the last two years, unless this requirement would violate cultural or social customs or create extreme hardship.
– The petitioner must be able to financially support the fiance, meaning they must have an income that is at least 100% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

It’s important to note that if the petitioner has a criminal record, it may make it difficult to obtain a Fiance Visa. Additionally, if the petitioner‚Äôs income is not enough to support the fianc√©, a joint sponsor may be required.

How to Apply for a Fiance Visa?

The application process for a Fiance Visa involves several steps, and it can take several months for approval. Here is a step-by-step guide:

Step 1: File a Petition

The first step in the process is to file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The I-129F is the form that the petitioner must complete to start the process. The form requires detailed information about both the petitioner and the fiance, including full names, addresses, employment history, and any previous marriages.

In addition to the form, certain documents must be submitted, such as:

РEvidence of the petitioner’s U.S. citizenship, such as a copy of their birth certificate or passport.
РEvidence of the couple’s joint intent to get married within 90 days of the foreign partner’s arrival in the United States, such as a written statement from both parties, or engagement ring receipts.
РEvidence of the petitioner’s financial stability, such as tax returns, bank statements, and pay stubs.

Once the petition is filed, USCIS will review it to ensure that all the required information has been provided. If they need more information, they may issue a Request for Evidence (RFE) to the petitioner. This will delay the process, so it’s important to ensure that the petition is complete and accurate before filing.

Step 2: The Embassy Interview

After the petition is approved by USCIS, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. The NVC will send the file to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the fiance’s home country, which will schedule an interview with the fiance.

The interview is critical to the approval process. The purpose of the interview is to verify the information provided in the petition and to determine if the fiance is admissible to the United States. During the interview, the consulate officer will ask the fiance about their background, their relationship with the petitioner, and their future plans in the United States. They will also ask for additional documents, such as:

– A valid passport for travel to the United States.
– A birth certificate.
– A police certificate from every country where the fiance has lived for more than six months since the age of 16.
– Medical examinations.

Step 3: Wait for Visa Approval

After the interview, the consulate officer will make a decision about whether to approve the visa application. If it’s approved, the fiance will be issued a Fiance Visa, which will be valid for six months from the date of issuance. The visa holder must enter the United States within that six-month period.

What is the Timeline for a Fiance Visa?

The timeline for obtaining a Fiance Visa can vary depending on several factors. Here is an estimated timeline for the process:

– Submit the petition: 3-5 months
– Embassy interview: A few weeks to a few months
– Wait for visa approval: A few weeks to a few months

In some cases, the process can take longer due to backlogs or other issues. It’s important to be patient and keep in mind that the process can take longer than expected.

What is the Cost of a Fiance Visa?

Applying for a Fiance Visa involves several fees, including:

– Filing the I-129F petition: $535
– Visa application fee: $265
– Medical examination fee: Varies by country
– Fees for obtaining required documents, such as police certificates and birth certificates.

It’s important to note that these fees can change at any time, so it’s essential to check the current fee schedule before applying.

What are the Risks of a Fiance Visa?

Applying for a Fiance Visa can be a long and complicated process, but it’s essential to ensure that all the requirements are met. If a mistake is made or information is omitted, it can lead to delays or even denial of the visa application. Additionally, once the foreign partner is in the United States, there are still several requirements and obligations that must be met.

One risk is the possibility of the foreign partner’s visa being denied. USCIS may deny the visa if the paperwork is incomplete or inaccurate, or if they suspect fraud or other suspicious activity.

Another risk is the possibility of a relationship breakdown. If the couple decides not to get married, or if they get married but then separate, it can create significant problems. If the foreign partner leaves the United States without getting married, they may be barred from entering the country again for a certain period. If they get married but later divorce, the foreign partner may no longer be eligible for permanent resident status and may have to leave the country.

Bottom Line

The Fiance Visa is a critical step in the process of marrying a foreign national in the United States. While it can be complicated and time-consuming, it’s important to ensure that all the requirements are met and that the necessary paperwork is completed accurately. With patience and careful planning, it’s possible to successfully obtain a Fiance Visa and start a new life together in the United States.