Visa Extensions Explained?
• A Visa Extension is an expressed permission that allows an immigrant or non-citizen to extend their temporary residence within the United States.
• The extended permission granted through a Visa Extension is delivered by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau.
• The circumstances of applications requesting an extensionwill differ in description, duration of time allowed for temporary residence, as well as participatory nations, specifically Canada and Mexico. That being said, the satisfaction of specific Visa Extension applications and requirements are mandatory prior to being approved for a Visa Extension.
Visa Extension Allowances
• A Visa Extension will be granted to those individuals wishing to change, modify, or extend the terms of their temporary, non-citizen residencies in the United States.
• Those applying for a Visa Extension may do so prior to the termination of their respective visa status.
• The applicant for a Visa Extension will typically receive an extension, in the event that they are participating in school, education, employment, visiting, touring, and or tourism practices.
Prohibitions Associated with an Extension
Those applying for a Visa Extension cannot:
• Assume that a visa extension is implicit in the initial application
• Remain in the United States in the event that a Visa Extension has been denied
• File for a petition of extension in lieu of being approved for a Visa Extension
Required Forms Associated with a Visa Extension
• The following forms are required to be completed upon applying for a Visa Extension; these forms can be attained at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau by contacting them at their toll-free telephone number (800) 375-5283.
Form I-539: This form details the conditions, circumstances, and requests of non-immigrants wishing to extend their residence within the United States.
1. Form Size: 15 pages (including instructions)
2. Filing Location: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau
3. Filing Fee: $290
Form M-752: This form is an instructional guide in order to better explain the filing process for a Visa Extension.
1. Form Size: 1 page
2. Filing Location: Filing not required; this is an instructional resource
3. Filing Fee: None
Form G-1145: This form is the notification of approval subsequent to the filing of a Visa Extension.
1. Form Size: Varies
2. Filing Location: Filing not required; sent from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Bureau
3. Filing Fee: None
Visa Extension Requirements
Approval for a Visa Extension is contingent on the delivery and satisfaction of the following requirements:
• Copy of a valid passport
• Documentation illustrated legal and lawful temporary residence
• Documentation of necessity to extend the visa
• Specification of the type of visa for which one is requesting extension