Home Fiancee Visa 5 Steps To Fiancee Visa

5 Steps To Fiancee Visa

5 Steps To Fiancee Visa

The fiancée visa, also known as the K-1 visa, allows a U.S. citizen to bring their non-U.S. citizen fiancé(e) to the United States and marry them within 90 days of their arrival. This type of visa can be complicated, but with proper planning and attention to detail, it is possible to obtain the visa successfully. In this article, we will discuss five steps to obtaining a fiancée visa.

Step 1: Determine Eligibility

Before applying for a fiancée visa, it is crucial to ensure that you and your fiancé(e) meet all the eligibility requirements. To qualify for the K-1 visa, you must meet the following criteria:

– You and your fiancĂ©(e) must be legally eligible to marry under U.S. laws
– You must have met each other in person within the last two years
– You and your fiancĂ©(e) must have a genuine relationship and plan to get married within 90 days of your fiancĂ©(e)’s arrival in the United States
– You must be a U.S. citizen

If any of these requirements are not met, you may be denied a fiancée visa. It is also essential to note that if either you or your fiancé(e) have a criminal record, previous immigration violations, or communicable diseases, it could affect your ability to obtain a visa.

Step 2: Complete the Visa Application

Once you have determined that you and your fiancé(e) are eligible, you can proceed with the visa application process. The first step in this process is completing the online non-immigrant visa application (DS-160) and submitting it to the Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé(e) will apply for the visa.

The DS-160 requires information about your fiancé(e), including their full name, birth date, and passport details. You will also need to provide information about yourself, your relationship with your fiancé(e), and any previous marriages or fiancé(e) visas.

Once you have completed the DS-160, you will need to pay the non-refundable visa application fee. The current fee for a fiancée visa is $265, and it must be paid before your fiancé(e) can schedule their visa appointment.

Step 3: Gather Required Documents

In addition to the completed DS-160 and proof of payment, you will need to provide several other documents to support your fiancĂ©(e)’s visa application. These include:

– A valid passport for your fiancĂ©(e)
– Birth certificate for your fiancĂ©(e)
– Police certificates from the countries where your fiancĂ©(e) has lived for six months or more since the age of 16
– Medical examination results, which must be completed by an authorized physician
– Evidence of financial support, such as a Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) from you and any co-sponsors if necessary
– Two passport-size photos of your fiancĂ©(e)

It is important to note that the requirements for supporting documents can vary by country and Embassy, so it’s crucial to research the specific requirements for your fiancĂ©(e)’s visa application.

Step 4: Attend the Visa Interview

After your fiancĂ©(e) has submitted their visa application and supporting documents, they will need to attend an in-person visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. During this interview, a consular officer will ask questions about your relationship, your plans to marry, and your fiancĂ©(e)’s eligibility for the visa.

It is essential to prepare your fiancé(e) for the interview by reviewing potential interview questions and ensuring that all required documents are organized and ready to present. You should also make sure that your fiancé(e) knows what to expect during the interview and what types of questions to anticipate.

Step 5: Wait for Visa Approval

After the visa interview, your fiancé(e) will be informed whether their visa application has been approved or denied. If approved, your fiancé(e) will receive their K-1 visa, which will allow them to enter the United States and marry you within the 90-day timeframe.

If denied, the consular officer will provide a reason for the denial, and you may be able to reapply by addressing the issues raised in the previous application. However, if the issues are too severe, you may not be able to obtain a fiancée visa.


Obtaining a fiancée visa can seem daunting, but by following these five steps, you can increase your chances of success. Remember to carefully review the eligibility requirements, complete the visa application accurately, gather all required documents, prepare for the interview, and patiently wait for visa approval. With careful planning and attention to detail, you and your fiancé(e) can be reunited in the United States and begin your life together as a married couple.

Step 1. In order for a non-citizen to gain citizenship – or legal, permanent residency – through marriage to a citizen of the United States, the marriage must take place within the United States of America. In order to be allowed entry into the United States, the non-citizen must complete a K-1 Visa application, which entitles that individual entry into the United States for a period not to exceed 90 days; if the marriage does not take place within the 90 day period, an entirely new K-1 Visa application must be completed and the processing restarted – in addition, any supplementary, applicable forms must be refilled.
Step 2. Subsequent to the marriage within the 90 days allowed by the K-1 Visa, the non-citizen will be able to enjoy legal, permanent residence once an application for the adjustment of status is completed; this application declares that as a result of marriage, the foreign-born spouse can enjoy permanent residency status.
Step 3. In the event that the union between a non-citizen and an American citizen has produced children, unmarried children under the ages of 21 automatically receive a year-long K-2 resident status if they are claimed on the K-1 Visa belonging to the non-citizen spouse. Although the statute of limitations pertaining to the K-2 Visa last for a year, children who have received K-2 Visas must file for an adjustment of status prior to that year’s end.
Any unmarried children under the ages of 21 who are not claimed in the non-citizen spouse’s K-1 Visa are not eligible for K-2 Visas
Step 4. In the event that an unmarried child – or child under the age of 21 – has not been claimed on  the K-1 Visa belonging to the non-citizen spouse, which precludes the awarding of a K-2 Visa, eligible children are permitted to complete a K-4 Visa application, which allows them temporary, legal residence upon the processing of pending immigration forms.
Step 5. Family members and children – who are married or above the age of 21 – interested in attending the marriage ceremony that will take place within the 90-day stipulation allowed by the K-1 Visa belonging to the non-immigrant spouse, can file for   K-3 Visa Status(s), which allows them to legally remain in the United States on a temporary basis. This stay can include a short visit or residence during the processing of pending immigration documentation.
Fiancee Visa Applications and Forms Required 
In order for a non-citizen of the United States to marry a United States citizen, there are a variety of applications and petitions that must be completed; they are listed as follows:
Petition for Alien Fiancé (I-129F): This form must be completed in order to determine the Visa Status of a non-citizen spouses; depending on who is eligible to be a claimant on this form, the Visa status(s) of any children resulting from the marriage will and can vary
K-1 Visa: A K-1 Visa allows a non-citizen spouse of a citizen of the United States to legally remain in the United States for 90 days; in this time, the couple is expected to be married
K-2 Visa: A K-2 Visa is awarded to unmarried children under the age(s) of 21 produced by the marriage of a citizen of the United States and a non-citizen; children must be claimed on the K-1 Visa belonging to the non-citizen in order to be awarded K-2 Visas
K-3 Visa: A K-3 Visa allows for an immigrant to legally remain within the United States on a temporary basis; the temporary nature of the K-3 Visa makes it possible for a non-citizen to reside within the United States upon the processing of pending immigration forms – a K-3 Visa is issued to individuals who are non-citizens, married, and/or above the age of 21
K-4 Visa: A K-4 Visa is a temporary visa awarded to unmarried children under the age of 21, which provides the same rights as a K-3 Visa
Adjustment of Status Application (I-485): The adjustment of status application form changes the temporary legal status of a non-citizen to legal and permanent residential status
Notice of Appearance for the Attorney or Representative (G-28): This form presents the expressed permission on the part of the non-citizen for the presence of a hired attorney or approved representative
Certification of Photocopies (FC-029): This form allows for the approved submission of official documents in the form of photocopies; these documents are considered to be valid and acceptable in lieu of the original documentation. However, photocopies of official, government documents are neither accepted nor recognized without the completion and processing of this form.