Home Green Card Things That Could Impact Green Card Status

Things That Could Impact Green Card Status

Things That Could Impact Green Card Status

An American green card permanent residency asylum refugee marriage crime. Your green card status in terms of the duration of your permanent residency in the U.S. may be dependent on the status of your residency. Upon initial receipt of an American green card and the notification of your permanent residency, you will be afforded the ability to work and stay in the United States as an immigrant, but your permanent residency is considered conditional until you apply to have the conditions removed.


This is achieved by filing a petition on your behalf (form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, to be specific) before you can be considered a permanent resident. To some who have skimmed through the literature on obtaining an American green card, it may seem like you have a period of 10 years to change the distinction and should apply to have your green card status renewed within six months of expiry, but if you retain conditions on your file, your card will only be valid for two years.


You will also have to be considerate of your green card status in the wake of a lost or stolen green card or an otherwise unfortunate card. Conditions that will require a replacement for your American green card are numerous, but they are somewhat similar to conditions that might affect your credit card or another tangible form of identity that contains your personal information.


Aside from the said ideas of theft or misplacement, changes to your residency (whether or not you plan to commute), your name (if there are any inconsistencies in the name via a name change or change in your marital status, you could encounter problems) and even your age (if you are issued a green card before the age of 14) may cause you to have to reapply for a replacement card.


If you have questions about your green card and your green card status, you may want to talk to an immigration attorney or contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.