Home Fiancee Visa The Application Process for a Marriage Visa

The Application Process for a Marriage Visa

The Application Process for a Marriage Visa


1. Types of visas – As indicated by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, there are three types of visas for which you can apply on behalf of your spouse or fiancé(e). For an immigrant spouse, an immigrant visa for the spouse of a U.S. citizen must be obtained, and a Petition for an Alien Relative must be filed. For a non-immigrant fiancé(e), a non-immigrant visa for a fiancé(e) must be obtained, and a Petition for an Alien Fiancé(e) must be filed. For a non-immigrant spouse visa, both petitions must be filed. For all visas, the documentation is specific to its classification.

2. Documents needed for application process – With all types of marriage visas, a laundry list of forms of identification are needed to ensure that everything processes correctly. Birth records, police certificates, medical records, death or divorce certificates from previous spouses, properly formatted photos of each member of the couple, and depending on the type of visa, proof of a spousal or fiancé(e) relationship are among those documents/artifacts you will want to get in order before starting the application process. In addition, both people require a passport. Find an immigration lawyer to have your documentation reviewed.

3. Fees and other considerations – There are always fees involved in the application process of visas. For a marriage visa, the price may vary, once again, dependent on the variety for which you are submitting. You must also provide evidence of housing and financial support. In addition, there are issues that can prohibit you from obtaining a visa on behalf of your significant other, such as fraudMarriage visas are a critical step to the immigration process for a couple of mixed nationality/citizenship. For more information on applying for a spousal or fiancé(e) visa, visit the official Department of State Website, and to formally apply, get in touch with an embassy or consulate that can handle your claim.